With the rise of mobile device usage, distracted driving is a significant problem. Here’s a look at some alarming statistics:
- Each day in the United States, approximately 9 people are killed and more than 1,000 injured in crashes that are reported to involve a distracted driver.
- In 2016, 9.2% of fatal crashes were reported as distraction-affected crashes.
- Nine percent of drivers 15 to 19 years old involved in fatal crashes were reported as distracted at the time of the crash.
- 3,450 people were killed in motor vehicle crashes involving distracted drivers.
- Sending or receiving a text takes a driver’s eyes off the road for an average of 4.6 seconds, the equivalent of driving blind at 55-mph for the length of an entire football field.
- At any given daylight moment across America,approximately 660,000 drivers are using cell phonesor manipulating electronic devices while driving, a number that has held steady since 2010.