There are few potential hazards in the home that are as serious as carbon monoxide. The Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), the federal regulator of product safety standards, points out that carbon monoxide (CO) is a colorless, odorless gas that cannot be detected by human senses. It can be in your home’s environment and cause serious harm to the health of you and your family before you know it, and ingesting any large amount of CO is fatal.
Emphasizing CO safety in your home and vehicle should be among your highest priorities. First, we’ll look at how CO enters the home and the symptoms of its poisoning, and then discuss the best ways for keeping you and your loved ones safe from its dangers.Sources of CO contamination
The National Safety Council (NSC), a nonprofit organization dedicated to fostering awareness of safety issues, explains that carbon monoxide typically makes its way into homes when fuel is burned in enclosed spaces. Fireplaces, gas stoves, ovens, grills, generators, car motors and furnaces all produce CO in their natural processes. If not properly ventilated, the resulting CO buildup can affect the people in the house.